WESTMINSTER, Md. – The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team had its five-game winning streak snapped Saturday in a straight set loss, 17-25 17-25, 15-25, to McDaniel College. The Bison (6-1) bounced back with a quick win over University of Pittsburgh-Greensburg here at the Gill Center as GU rolled to a 25-6, 25-10, 25-14 victory.
The Bison were unable to get past 17 points against the host Green Terror (7-1) in either set as attack errors hurt Gallaudet's offensive game. GU recorded 32 kills on 96 attempts but made 19 errors. In 36 matches last season, Gallaudet recorded 19 attack errors twice in three-set matches. Freshman Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) led the team with 10 kills in the loss.
Gallaudet came back with a dominating performance against Pitt.-Greensburg as the buff and blue recorded 39 kills, 38 digs and 13 service aces. Junior Giuletta Maucere (Fishers, Ind.) and sophomore Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) led the offense with 10 kills each.
- Senior Kate Fetzer (Noblesville, Ind.) led the Bison in digs (six) against McDaniel
- Thomas, Molly Perkins (Apple Valley, Minn.) and TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) had three service aces each against Pitt-Greensburg.
- Perkins had a total of five services aces on the day
- Senior Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) and freshman Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) had eight digs each against Pitt-Greensburg
- Maucere led the team with three solo blocks against Pitt-Greensburg
- Lewis was third on the team in kills (nine) against Pitt-Greensburg
- The last time GU faced McDaniel was twice during the 2011 season where the Bison won both meetings in straight sets
The women's volleyball home opener will be on Wednesday, Sept. 16, against Marymount (Va.) University at 7 p.m. Prior to the start of the match GU's women's volleyball team will be honored for earning a ninth consecutive American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Award.