MARCY, N.Y. - The five-time defending champions began their title defense here Friday evening as the Gallaudet University women's volleyball team dispatched Lancaster Bible College in straight sets; 25-14, 25-13, 25-18, in the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) quarterfinal round.
Third-seed Gallaudet (21-12) advances to Saturday's semifinal round to face second-seed Wells College (18-10) at 2:30 p.m. here on the campus of SUNY Polytechnic Institute.
Sophomore Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) led the Bison with 13 kills, four digs and three service aces. Senior setter TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) passed out 31 assists and made five digs. Freshman Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) added eight kills on offense.
Lancaster (14-16) was paced by Lauren Grimm's seven kills and eight digs.
- Senior Kate Fetzer (Noblesville, Ind.) had 10 digs and two service aces
- Senior Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) tallied six kills and five digs
- Senior Molly Perkins (Apple Valley, Minn.) added six kills
- This was Gallaudet's 15th straight set win this season
- Gallaudet leads the all-time series with LBC, 7-0
- This was the sixth 3-0 win for the Bison over the Chargers
- GU faced LBC one time prior in the NEAC tournament in 2012 where the Bison won 3-0 in the semifinals
- The Bison are now 12-1 at neutral sites this season
- 2011 was the last time GU had to travel for the NEAC tournament
- This was Gallaudet's first appearance in the NEAC quarterfinals, the previous five tournaments the Bison started off in the semifinal round
The Bison face Wells with the winner advancing to the NEAC championship on Sunday. GU lost 3-2 at Wells back on Oct. 3. GU lost the first, third and fifth sets against the Express as the Bison served up 13 service errors and made 19 attack errors. Gallaudet will need to play a strong game if it wants to return to the NEAC championship match for a sixth straight year.