SCRANTON, Pa. – The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team split the day on Saturday at the University of Scranton. The Bison (20-12) beat Scranton 3-2 in a close match, 16-25, 25-19, 25-23, 23-25, and 15-10, but were unable to continue the streak in a straight loss to Lebanon Valley College, 17-25, 25-27, and 19-25.
Gallaudet battled the University of Scranton Royals (25-11), but outplayed them in nearly every facet of the game. GU racked up 57 kills, 73 digs, and 16 service aces in the five sets. The energy fueled them in the next game, but wasn't enough to push them past the Lebanon Valley Dutchmen (21-9) who capitalized on Bison errors at the net.
Sophomore Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) once again led the Bison with 35 kills, 27 digs, and six service aces, followed closely by senior Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) with 16 kills, 23 digs, and six service aces.
LVC defeated the Royals in straight sets, 25-17, 25-22, 25-20, to complete the tri-match.
- Senior Molly Perkins (Apple Valley, Minn.) and freshman Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) also reported double digit kills, 16 and 15, respectively.
- TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) had 50 assists in the game against the Royals and junior Daisy Jo Robinson (Faribault, Minn.) had 29 assists in the game against the Dutchmen.
- GU totaled 28 service aces, led by sophomore Kylene Etkie (Austin, Texas) with seven aces
- Freshman Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn) tallied 19 digs
- The Bison clinched their seventh straight 20-win season
- Coach Lynn Ray Boren has won 20 or more matches in 10 of 11 seasons at GU
- The Bison lost to LVC for the first time since 2010, snapping a four-match win streak
The women's volleyball team prepares for the quarterfinal round of the North Eastern Athletic Conference championship tournament against Lancaster Bible College in Marcy, N.Y., on Friday, Nov. 6, at 5 p.m. GU defeated the Chargers 3-2 two weeks ago on Oct. 16.