WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team split its two matches here Friday on the first day of the 9th annual Worthington Classic volleyball tournament being held in the Field House.
Gallaudet (13-6) got by Illinois Tech (9-9) in a five-set thriller after the Bison went up, 2-0, behind 25-14 and 25-13 set wins. The Scarlet Hawks battled back and took the next two sets; 23-25 and 18-25 to force a fifth set. Illinois Tech took a 9-4 lead before Gallaudet rallied to knot the match at 11. The Bison conquered the set, 16-14, and took the 3-2 win over the Scarlet Hawks.
In the nightcap, the Bison weren't as fortunate as they went up against a Virginia Wesleyan College squad that entered with a five-match win streak. The Marlins (15-6) made it six in a row with a straight set win over the Bison; 19-25, 20-25, 22-25. GU kept pace in the first set with the Marlins but fell 19-25 and by similar fashion in the second set. Gallaudet came back in the third set and even took a 15-11 lead before the Marlins stormed back to take a 23-18 lead. Freshman libero Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) led the game with 20 digs.
- Senior setter TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) tallied 79 assists in two matches
- Thomas and Perkins each ended the night with 26 kills, freshman Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) had 18 kills on the day
- Fuechtmann led the Bison with digs (39), Thomas was second with 29 and senior Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) finished the day with 19 digs
- Hoglind served four aces each match to lead the Bison with eight
- The Bison totaled 129 digs, 88 kills and 21 service aces
- Virginia Wesleyan leads Pool A with a 2-0 record, with wins over FDU-Florham and Gallaudet
- DeSales University leads Pool B with a 2-0 record, with wins over Messiah College and RIT
- The tournament begins at 10 a.m. with Illinois Tech vs. Virginia Wesleyan on Court 1 and DeSales vs. Catholic on Court 2
- Eight matches will be played on Saturday
The Worthington Classic will continue tomorrow (Saturday, Oct. 10) starting in the morning at 10 a.m. The Bison will face FDU-Florham on Court 1 at noon.