WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team, for a second straight day, split its two matches at the 9th annual Worthington Classic volleyball tournament here Saturday in the Field House.
Gallaudet (14-7) defeated FDU-Florham (19-6) in a thrilling four sets. The Bison fell to the Devils in the first set, unable to keep up as FDU-Florham capitalized on key Bison errors to end the set 25-20. The Bison came back the next two sets, playing a strong net game, to win 25-21 and 26-24, but didn't blow past the Devils until the fourth set, 25-14.
Sophomore Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) led GU in kills with 24 and was third on the team in digs (18). Thomas was behind freshman Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) with 20 and senior Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) with 19. Senior Molly Perkins (Apple Valley, Minn.) also recorded a double-double with 15 kills and 11 digs. Senior setter TraciAnn Hoglind (Fishers, Ind.) had a season-high 58 assists, and had every assists in the match against FDU-Florham.
GU faced Messiah College (19-2) in the last match of the day but walked away without a victory after three tough sets; 14-25, 24-26, 21-25. The Falcons played a strong game at the net with 45 kills and seven team blocks. Gallaudet recorded 36 kills and two blocks up front. Thomas added another double-double to her stats with 14 kills and 12 digs. Hoglind led the team in digs (13) and had 35 assists against Messiah.
- Thomas led the team with 38 kills, 30 digs and five service aces on the day.
- Perkins totaled 29 kills for the Bison
- Fuechtmann totaled 29 digs while Morris had 28
- GU totaled 15 service aces on the day
- Hoglind assisted 93 of the 95 total kills
- GU went 2-2 for the weekend, defeating Illinois Tech (3-2) and FDU-Florham (3-1)
- Virginia Wesleyan won the tournament as it went undefeated, beating each team in three straight sets until the championship match against DeSales University
- VWC won in five sets; 12-25, 25-18, 22-25, 27-25, 15-13, after falling behind 2-1 midway through en route to the Worthington Classic championship
- DeSales, the tournament's runners-up, also won each match in three sets until its final match against Virginia Wesleyan
MVP: Tiffany Barrett (VWC)
Marin Crowder (VWC)
Gabby Savite' (DeSales)
Kristen Douglas (Messiah)
Darriyan Thomas (Gallaudet)
Lauren Harris (FDU-Florham)
Mary Paige Nesfeder (Catholic)
The Bison will travel to Maryland on Wednesday to face Stevenson University on Oct. 14 at 7 p.m.