WASHINGTON – Gallaudet University defeated Shenandoah University in straight sets here Tuesday night in the Field House before a boisterous crowd watching the non-conference game.
The Bison (17-15) swept the Hornets (12-15) defeating them in straight sets 25-15, 27-25, 25-21. Shenandoah almost took the second set before the Bison scored two extra points to take a 2-0 lead.
Junior outside hitter Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) led the Bison with 14 kills and 11 digs for her 14th double-double of the season. Freshman middle hitter Adele Daniels (Frederick, Md.) recorded a double-double of her own with 12 kills and 10 digs. Junior setter Jasmine Jeter (Noblesville, Ind.) assisted 37 of Gallaudet's 41 kills plus served up five service aces and six digs.
Kaitlyn Kelley led Shenandoah with nine kills and 10 digs while Torie Gettier added 10 kills in the loss.
- Freshman outside hitter Camryn Skari (Federal Way, Wash.) tallied eight kills, three digs, two block solos and two block assists
- Freshman libero Farrah Harmount (Union City, Calif.) recorded 11 digs to match Thomas for the game-high dig total
- Freshman outside hitter Maria Elena Rendon (Espanola, N.M.) recorded five kills and eight digs
- The Bison tallied seven blocks including three block solos
- Sophomore Shua Clay (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) made one block solo and two block assists
- Daniels has six double-doubles this season
GU welcomes East Mennonite University to the Field House on Friday, Oct. 28, at 7 p.m. during Homecoming Weekend. The Gallaudet women's volleyball program will honor the 2006 Bison team that made the NCAA tournament Sweet 16 round in between the second and third sets.