WASHINGTON - In a highly contested and spirited women's volleyball match, Gallaudet University and McDaniel College went toe-to-toe in a five-set thriller on Tuesday night before a spirited Field House crowd. The visiting Green Terror came away with the 3-2 victory to defeat the Bison in their home opener on Padden Court.
The two teams split the first two sets as Gallaudet won the first set 25-17 before it dropped a close 22-25 second set. In the third set, GU took a 2-1 advantage after winning 25-22. The Bison tried to close out the match in the fourth set but couldn't get the lead back from McDaniel (8-1) as it won 20-25. In the fifth and final set the Green Terror jumped out to an early 8-2 lead and never looked back en route to a 15-9 win.
Three different Bison registered double figures in kills led by sophomore Adele Daniels (Austin, Texas), who tallied 20 kills and 18 digs for a double-double. Senior outside hitter Darriyan Thomas (Vallejo, Calif.) recorded 17 kills and 23 digs for her own double-double. Fellow senior middle hitter Giuletta Maucere (Valley Village, Calif.) had 10 kills and two block assists. Junior libero Raelyn Fuechtmann (South St. Paul, Minn.) had a team best 35 digs. Senior setter Jasmine Jeter (Noblesville, Ind.) passed out a match best 54 assists.
- Freshman Channalee Phelan (St. Hedwig, Texas) had 15 digs
- Freshman Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) added seven kills on 24 attempts
- Freshman Brynn Schmidt (Bozeman, Mont.) had four block assists
- The match was tied 21 different times, including 12 times in the third set
- There were eight lead changes throughout the match
- McDaniel had eight service aces
Gallaudet will begin conference play on Thursday, Sept. 14, at Wilson College for a 7 p.m. match.