WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team won its home opener here Saturday in straight sets over conference foe College of Saint Elizabeth.
Gallaudet (3-7, 1-0 NEAC) made fast work of the first set as it won 25-16. The Eagles put pressure on the Bison in the second set and were a point away from closing it out before GU rallied. The Bison scored three straight points to win 26-24. Sophomore middle hitter Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) served up seven straight points to close out the third set, 25-13, as GU closed out its North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) opener.
Junior outside hitter Adele Daniels (Austin, Texas) secured a double-double with 13 kills and 13 digs along with two service aces. Junior outside hitter Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) added 10 kills and five digs. Freshman setter Emma Giuntoli (Austin, Texas) passed out a game-high 25 assists and served up five aces.
Saint Elizabeth (4-5, 1-1 NEAC) was led by Stephanie Mitarotonda with nine kills and 10 digs. Stacey Medina made a team-high four service aces and Joralis Nivar tallied 17 digs.
- Karita Lewis made three blocks (two solo) up front, tallied eight digs and four aces
- Senior middle hitter Shua Clay (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) recorded two blocks (one solo)
- Senior libero Farrah Harmount (Union City, Calif.) had two aces and nine digs
- The Bison served up 14 services aces
- This is GU's first 3-0 win this season
The Bison travel to Baltimore on Tuesday, Sept. 18, to take on Notre Dame of Maryland University (10-1) in a non-conference 7 p.m. match.