WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet women's volleyball team brought home two wins here Saturday in the Field House, as they defeated Hood College and Penn College. The Bison had their hands full with the Blazers but prevailed in five sets, 3-2, and swept Penn College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) match.
In the first match against Hood, GU won the first two sets by an identical score, 25-19, but faltered in the third where the Blazers (12-10) took advantage and won, 25-23, to send the match to a fourth set. Hood continued it's momentum and knotted the match at 2-2 with a 26-24 set win. GU (13-12) rebounded in the fifth set and defeated the Blazers, 15-9.
Junior outside hitter Adele Daniels (Austin, Texas) and sophomore middle hitter Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) both recorded double-doubles. Daniels contributed a game-high 16 kills and 20 digs, while Lewis made 15 kills and 13 digs. Junior outside hitter Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) tallied nine kills and one block. Senior middle hitter Shua Clay (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) added five kills and eight blocks. Freshman setter Emma Giuntoli (Austin, Texas) passed out 43 assists to her teammates along with two of GU's eight service aces in the win.
In the match against Penn College, Gallaudet (14-12, 6-2 NEAC) controlled the board in a sweep of the Wildcats (1-17, 0-8 NEAC). Tessa Lewis and Daniels led the Bison with 10 kills each while Karita Lewis added nine kills. The Bison had 16 service aces against the Wildcats led by seven from Giuntoli (28 assists).
- Sophomore Brynn Schmidt (Bozeman, Mont.) recorded three kills and three blocks against Hood
- Guintoli, junior Farrah Harmount (Union City, Calif.) and freshman Mia Upchurch (Austin, Texas) all contributed two service aces in the game against Hood College, which featured a total of eight
- Freshman libero Kelley Johnson had five service aces against Penn College
- Johnson has recorded a service ace in four straight matches
- Gallaudet's 16 aces vs Penn College is a new season-high
GU will make the short trip to Arlington, Va, on Tuesday, Oct. 16, for a non-conference match against Marymount University at 7 p.m.