WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University triumphed over SUNY Poly, 3-1, in the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) women's volleyball tournament quarterfinal round here Tuesday night in front of a festive and energized Field House crowd.
Gallaudet (17-16) won the first two sets by the same 25-22 score before it dropped the third set 14-25 to the Wildcats (14-17). The match came down to the fourth set where the Bison won 25-16.
Junior outside hitter Adele Daniels (Austin, Texas) recorded her 21st double-double this season with a game-high 19 kills and 15 digs to go with two service aces, two blocks (one solo) and one assist. Senior middle hitter Shua Clay (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) added 11 kills and a match-high four blocks (one solo). Sophomore middle hitter Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) matched Clay with four blocks (one solo) to go with a team-high 18 digs, eight kills and two aces. Freshman setter Emma Giuntoli (Austin, Texas) passed out 38 assists and made 10 digs for the double-double and served up two aces.
Karlie King led the Wildcats with a double-double with 16 kills and 11 digs. Brittany Adams and Casandra Campion added six kills each while setter Sydney Johnson passed out 31 assists, made 11 digs, five kills and two aces in the loss.
- Sophomore outside hitter Brynn Schmidt (Bozeman, Mont.) and junior outside hitter Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) had three kills each
- Schmidt added two blocks
- Freshman Mia Upchurch (Austin, Texas) made 14 digs at libero
- Junior Farrah Harmount (Union City, Calif.) made nine digs
- GU had seven aces in the win
- The Bison are 7-5 this season in four-set matches
- GU completes the year with a 10-2 home record
- No. 3 seed Wells College (17-11) defeated No. 6 seed Keuka College (11-19) in the other NEAC quarterfinal match
- Gallaudet reaches the NEAC semifinals for a ninth straight year
Gallaudet travels to Morrisville, N.Y., to take on top-seed Morrisville State (23-6) in the NEAC semifinal round on Saturday, Nov. 3, at noon. The Bison lost 3-1 to the Mustangs 10 days ago in the regular season. These two teams met in the NEAC championship last season as the Mustangs won, 3-1, to claim the title and NCAA tournament bid.