WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team placed fifth overall at the 12th annual Worthington Classic hosted the past two days in the Field House.
Gallaudet (10-9) split its four matches as the host Bison won a match on Friday and Saturday afternoon.
Marymount (Va.) University (16-2) won the classic with a perfect 4-0 record as the Saints defeated Dickinson College (7-11) in straight sets. Eight different teams competed in the 16-match tournament that spanned 28 hours.
The Bison defeated Ramapo College of New Jersey and Lycoming College in straight sets on Friday and Saturday, respectively. GU played a classic match on Friday night against Dickinson as the match went the distance. The Red Devils won 25-23, 25-23, 22-25, 24-26, 15-10 even though it lost the third and fourth sets to the Bison after leading 2-0. GU had a chance to move up to the third/fourth place match but lost 3-1 to Olivet College from Michigan in four sets, 3-1.
Junior outside hitter Tessa Lewis (Frederick, Md.) was Gallaudet's lone representative on the all-tournament team. Lewis tallied 40 kills (.184 attack percentage) in four matches (15 sets).
- Gallaudet served up 42 aces in the four match tournament
- GU averaged 11.9 kills and 19.3 digs per set
- The Bison accumulated a .923 reception percentage
- Senior middle hitter Shua Clay (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) led the Bison with nine blocks
- Junior outside hitter Adele Daniels (Austin, Texas) recorded 48 kills, 64 digs, seven aces and four blocks
- Freshman setter Emma Giuntoli (Austin, Texas) passed out 149 assists and 11 aces
- Sophomore middle hitter Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) tallied 39 kills, 67 digs, five blocks and four aces
- Junior libero Farrah Harmount (Union City, Calif.) made 61 digs and eight aces
Gallaudet is off this week before jumping back into conference play on Friday, Oct. 5, at Lancaster Bible College (11-5, 4-0 NEAC) at 7 p.m.