OWINGS MILLS, Md. - The Gallaudet University women's volleyball team lost in straight sets here Friday night to Salisbury University in the Owings Mills Gymnasium on the first day of the Stevenson Tournament. Salisbury (8-0) won 25-17, 25-12, 25-14.
Gallaudet (1-9) was led by junior Elina Rubinshteyn (Austin, Texas) who recorded seven kills and two block assists. Junior Karita Lewis (Frederick, Md.) added six kills and six digs while freshman setter Demi Bingham (Jefferson, Md.) passed out 20 assists and had a service ace.
Salisbury was led by Amanda Chew's 10 kills and two block assists while Claudia Sweitzer passed out 19 assists in the win.
Stevenson (7-0) defeated Dickinson College (4-3) in straight sets, 3-0, in the other Friday evening match.
- Sophomore Mia Upchurch (Austin, Texas) led the team with nine digs
- Junior Brynn Schmidt (Bozeman, Mont.) had two kills and a block assist
- Freshman middle hitter Cassidy Perry (Frederick, Md.) tallied three kills and one block assist
- Freshman Jaelene Etkie (Austin, Texas) matched Perry with three kills and five digs
- Freshman Sunita Schmidjorg (Austin, Texas) had three digs
- Freshman Leila Sicoli (Austin, Texas) had two digs
- Freshman Isabella Rodriguez (Marietta, Ga.) had one ace
- Freshman Malia Zornoza (Pleasanton, Calif.) played in one set
Gallaudet will compete on the second day of the Stevenson Tournament tomorrow (Saturday, Sept. 14) at 10 a.m. when the Bison face the host Mustangs of Stevenson University and Dickinson College at 2 p.m.