MORRISVILLE, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University women's cross country team finished 10th overall at the 2017 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) cross country championships here Saturday hosted by Morrisville State College.
Penn St.-Berks won its first conference championship as it tallied 43 team points to edge out Cazenovia College (78 points) and SUNY Cobleskill (82). Berks sophomore Michelle Kiss won the 6K race in 24 minutes, 56 seconds. The Nittany Lions had their top five runners place in the first 16 spots.
Gallaudet senior Kristi Luna (Austin, Texas) was the first Bison to cross the finish line as she finished 20th overall with a time of 28:45.4. Luna was able to secure all-conference honors as she landed on the third team. The top seven spots (1-7) earn all-conference first team, spots 8-14 earn second team, spots 15-21 earn third team honors.
Freshman Taylor Nguyen (Ballwin, Mo.) was GU's second runner to finish at the conference championships as she clocked in at 31:07.4 (45th place). She was followed by senior Shellane McKitty (Bronx, N.Y.) in 56th place (32:38.4).
The next two Bison to finish and earn team points include senior Ivy Sahneyah (First Mesa, Ariz.) and sophomore Fatuma Ali (Tucson, Ariz.), who finished back-to-back in 74th (35:15.0) and 75th place (35:42.6), respectively.
- Sophomore Jessalyn Wortham (Chandler, Ariz.) finished 87th overall (40:51.9)
- Senior Yudan Liu (Chengdu, China) was 92nd (43:49.6)
- Junior Karina Mitchell (Las Cruces, N.M.) did not finish the race
- This is the first time Luna has earned all-conference honors in her career
- There were 93 runners in the championship field.
- 11 teams finished as a team while two other programs had incomplete teams
Gallaudet will send its women's team to the 2017 NCAA Division III Mideast Regional being held at Big Spring High School in Newville, Pa., on Saturday, Nov. 11.